Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Wisdom from a Candy Wrapper

"Be a role model to someone."

That's what my Dove chocolate wrapper said today. "Be a role model..." Wow. That's a big responsibility.

It's something that I have tried to be in the past. I've had "little sisters" at school and/or church that I have tried to take under my wing. It's something that I am now as I'm watching my little brother grow up and teaching kids at church. I love the idea of being a mentor, because my mentors have made such a big impact on my life.

But that responsibility is not something that you can take lightly. I once had a younger friend's mother tell me that she was glad I was around as a positive influence on her daughter. Just having her mom tell me that really made me think about every decision I made. And, honestly, I think that if everyone had that kind of responsibility it would really do our community, state, country and world a lot of good.

Think about it - if you had someone holding you accountable for every move you made, wouldn't you think twice about all the things you do? If you had to consider the impact that you were making on your younger siblings, friends, peers, etc., wouldn't you be more careful about the way you act and the things you say?

The biggest problem is that we all DO have someone holding us accountable. You may not know it, but someone, somewhere IS watching you. There's a little kid out there that thinks you are the coolest person they know. There's a younger friend, a younger brother or a cousin that wants to be just like you.

Do you realize how big of a responsibility you have? Do you realize that every move you make is making a difference in someones life and that it's up to you to decide if you are going to be a good influence or a bad one? Do you understand the weight of your decisions on the lives of people you care about?

I wish that we all knew how much the little things mattered. If we were able to see past ourselves and see the long term affects of our daily actions, we would all be so much more responsible and so much more respectable. Think about what a better place the world would be...

"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid." Matthew 5:14

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29

"...be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity." 1 Timothy 4:12b

No comments:

Post a Comment