Monday, September 2, 2013

Confessions of a Makeup Junkie

I have a confession to make...  I am a makeup junkie.  I love the stuff.  I've been playing with it since I was old enough to reach the counter in my grandmothers bathroom.  She was an Avon representative when I was little, and always had the newest and coolest makeup stuff.

Through the years, I have passed my love for makeup on to countless little girls at my church.  (Here are some pictures of me and some of the girls in my Junior Youth Group class doing makeovers at a Girls' Lock-in a few years ago).




 I could easily have an entire Rubbermaid storage box full of makeup.  (It would be shameful for you to see my entire stash.  It fills four makeup bags and a pretty big tool box.  Most of it was given to me, though, if that helps me look less like a hoarder.)  I love to play with makeup and try new things, but my everyday routine is pretty simple.


This is my makeup bag.  (I am also a Vera Bradley junkie, but that's another story...)  Here's what you'll find inside it.


These are the basic things that I keep and use everyday.  I have TONS of other eye makeup and lip glosses, but these are my basic tools.

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel
Clean and Clear Advantage Acne Control Moisturizer

I alternate between these moisturizers depending on what my skin needs at the time.  I always use a moisturizer after I wash my face at night, and I usually put the Clinique Dramatically Different Gel on under my foundation.

Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse Foundation in Classic Ivory
Maybelline Fit Me Pressed Powder in Ivory

When I turned 13, my mother took me to the Clinique counter for a makeover and to get my first "real" makeup kit.  I used only Clinique products for a while, but let's be real...  They are SUPER expensive!  I can get this Maybelline foundation for around $8 at the drugstore, and it is some of the best foundation I have ever used.  Plus, there are almost always coupons for Maybelline products in the newspaper or online.

Clinique Soft Pressed Powder Blusher in Honey Blush

Blush is one thing that I don't mind spending a little extra for, for a few reasons:  First, I want to make sure the color looks natural.  Have you ever seen someone wearing blush that is too pink or too orange?  Some girls look like clowns, and it's because they have the color wrong.  I love that I can go to the Clinique counter and actually try the color before I buy it.  Another reason I don't mind paying a little more is that blush is something that I can keep for a long time.  I always wear blush (some girls don't, but I just feel like I look washed out without it), but I probably only buy it every six or eight months or so.  So this product (especially this color if you are fair skinned like me!) is totally worth the splurge.

Maybelline Fit Me Bronzer in Light Bronze 

I love bronzer.  It is my best friend on days when I have stayed up all night working on a paper and need to look refreshed.  I rely a lot on this product in the summer, because I don't tan well, so I like to use it to fake a little color.  This one blends really well.  I also love Physicians Formula bronzers, but they are a little more expensive.

Avon 12 in 1 Eye Shadow Palette

My grandmother (who still sells Avon, by the way), gets me an eye shadow palette like this one for Christmas almost every year.  I LOVE it, especially for when I travel!  I have 12 colors that go with everything right there without having to crowd my bag with dozens of little bottles and pots of eye shadow.  I use these colors in tons of ways - some I wear alone, some I layer together, and some I use as eye liner.  I LOVE using a powder eyeshadow as eye liner.  As long as you have a good eye liner brush, this is a really great way to define your lash line while still looking natural.  A good eye shadow palette is a must have for every girl's makeup bag.
 
Clinique Kohl Shaper for Eyes in Black Coffee

When I do want to add some extra flair to my eyes, I always reach for this eye lines pencil.  It is kohl, so it blends really well.  I love the Black Coffee color, which is a really dark brown, because it isn't as harsh as black and looks more natural.  This is something I only use on occasion, so I splurge a little and get it from Clinique because it is the best.  I think a pencil like this (it comes with a sharpener) is about $16, and I probably only use one pencil a year.

Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Balm
Maybelline Mega Plush Volum' Express Mascara in Blackest Black
Maybelline Rocket Volum' Express Mascara in Blackest Black

Okay - I am majorly obsessed with Maybelline Mascara and Baby Lips Lip Balm.  This is how I feel when I go to the drugstore and see new colors or formulas...

These are my favorite two mascaras that Maybelline makes.  I love the Rocket Volum' Express because it makes my lashes really full in just one application.  I have them both in my makeup bag right now, mainly because I just bought the Mega Plush Mascara a few days ago to try it.  (I love it, too.)  An important thing to remember about mascara - ONLY use it for 45 days after opening it!  Mascara is wet, and the wand picks up bacteria from your eyes and that bacteria can breed in the dark tube.  So make sure you replace your mascara often!  Mascara is my favorite product and I love the way it makes my eyes look, but nobody wants bacteria all over their eyes (yuck!).  It's a pretty cheap product, too, so make sure to keep it clean and replace it often!
Clinique Different Lipstick in Think Bronze

Clinique does a lot of events where they give away a gift with the purchase of their products.  They had one recently and my aunt got this lipstick and gave it to me because she didn't like the color.  I love it.  The bronze color is natural enough for everyday, but has a little shimmer so I feel polished.

Mark by Avon Makeup Brushes
Revlon Eye Lash Curler and Tweezers

I know that these aren't actual makeup products, but they are the most important tools in my makeup bag.  YOU MUST HAVE A GOOD SET OF BRUSHES!  I love the ones that Mark makes.  They have lots of sizes to choose from, and they are a pretty good price.  I try to clean mine every few weeks with some makeup remover and a little foaming face wash.  Also, a really good set of tweezers and a good eye lash curler are absolute necessities.  Curling your lashes makes a huge difference and can really help you look awake and alert (even when you've been up all night studying).


Thanks for taking a peek into my makeup bag!  What do you keep in yours?





 

No comments:

Post a Comment