Thursday, September 26, 2013

Christina the Baker

I haven't gotten to make any cakes in over a year because I've been too busy with school and everything else.  The last one I made stressed me out way too much because I had homework and other stuff due at the same time that my client wanted the cake, and after about three emotional meltdowns, I decided that I better put off cake decorating until I get out of school.  But here are some of my favorite cakes that I have made in the past.


 I made this cake for my cousin's 17th birthday.  I was really proud of the way the John Deere logo turned out on this one.


This cake was for a baby shower at church.  The mother had decorated the nursery with puppy dogs, so I used that for the cake. I love the way it turned out.


A special little girl at my church requested this Barbie Horse Adventures cake for her birthday.  She told her mother that I could draw anything (I love her confidence!) and said she wanted a picture of Barbie and her horse on her cake.  I was pretty happy with the way it turned out, and most importantly, Ady loved it.




My little brother is a huge Red Sox fan, so I made him this 3D replica of Fenway Park for his 13th birthday.  It was definitely a labor of love.  I was still learning how to use fondant and this was the most ambitious cake I ever attempted.  It doesn't look like the ones they make on TV, but Joe Paul approved of it and I was pretty proud of it.


This polka dot cake was for a bridal shower.  I thought it turned out cute.


The Youth Group at church asked me to make a cake for their teacher, who loves to fish.  I thought this one looked really good.  He sent me a text after the party and said that the cake looked good, but that I should have made sure to make it a more realistic size so that it was like the fish he usually catches.  I told him that next time, I would decorate a cupcake.  :)


Little Mermaid Cake for Allee's Birthday



A friend wanted this cake for her sister, who collects mouse figurines.  I thought the little mouse turned out really cute, although my mother had issues with having a mouse in her kitchen (even a cute little fondant one).


This cake was for a lady's 60th birthday.  It was probably the biggest cake I have ever made.  Each layer was a different flavor and it was so big that I had to haul it in three pieces and build it on-site, which always makes me a little nervous.  I love the colors, though, and I think it turned out looking good.


My friend Joseph is an incredibly talented piano player, so there was no question about what he wanted his birthday cake to be for his 16th birthday.  He and his father are also very particular, so I was stressed about making sure I got the piano keys all correct.  I counted a piano keyboard at least three times before I formed these keys out of fondant and buttercream.


This one was for a softball and football coach's 40th birthday.  I love the way it turned out.


My little buddy, Jackson, used to LOVE Thomas the Tank Engine.  I carved this cake and pieced it together from a a loaf pan sized cake and a 9x13 sheet cake.  It took me forever to build it, but it turned out looking really good.  Jackson was happy, which is all that matters.



I love Scooby Doo, so I was excited to get to make this cake!  I think it took me forever to draw Scooby and the Mystery Machine.


This is one of my most requested cakes.  I have made this square, zebra layer cake for bridal showers, graduations, and ladies conferences.  I love putting the pink trim on it, and I've also made it with red trim.


No comments:

Post a Comment