Thursday, August 8, 2013

Recipe of the Day - Veggie Jambalaya

Well, I know I am supposed to be cooking through Trisha Yearwood's cookbook, but tonight I was really just in the mood for some good jambalaya, so this recipe is one of those "use what's in the kitchen and throw something together" type things.  (Although, I did have to run to town to get carrots, because I wanted them for this recipe - and it was a near death experience because I let my 15 year old brother drive me there, but that's another story...)  Despite me not really knowing what I was doing, it turned out really good.  Here's the recipe:

1 small red onion, diced
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 medium zucchini squash, diced
1 medium yellow squash, diced
1 can chicken broth (14.5 ounces)
3/4 cup water
1 package Zatarain's Jambalaya Mix
1 package smoked sausage

Dice all the veggies (I like to dice mine pretty small, but you can do bigger, bite-sized chunks if you choose to).
Spray a large sauce pan with cooking spray and melt a tablespoon of margarine in the pan.  Add the veggies to the pan and cook them for about 5 minutes, until they start to become tender.


Add the can of chicken broth and 3/4 cup of water to the pan and bring to a rolling boil.
While you're waiting for the mixture to boil, cook and slice the sausage (I cook mine in the microwave and just cut it up into bite-sized pieces).



When the veggie mixture is boiling, add the Zatarain's Jambalaya Mix and the sausage slices.  Stir well.  Return the mixture to a boil for a few minutes, then reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.


I hope you enjoy!  And I promise to actually start working on The Cookbook Project soon.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment