Monday, October 14, 2013

What A Girl Wants

When it comes to relationships, I hate to feel like I'm super high maintenance or needy.  I am a giver, and it can be hard for me to accept things (help, presents, compliments) from others.  I try to act like I don't care about the sweet little romantic things that my friends' boyfriends do for them.  I act like romance drives me crazy, like I think it is totally unnecessary and slightly sickening.  Most of the time, my faux disgust is just a coping mechanism to cover the fact that I am turning into a bitter, jealous old woman (seriously, I am concerned about myself.  I am SO on the road to being a cat lady.)

So, Dear Future Boyfriend (if you even exist), no matter what I say or how indifferent I act about the mushy stuff, know the following things are really the truth:

1.  I want you to tell me that I'm pretty, especially when I'm just wearing jeans and a t-shirt and my hair is in a messy ponytail (so, basically, every day).

2.  I like it when you call me princess, sweetheart, and baby.

3.  Pandora beads for my bracelet are always, ALWAYS a good gift idea.



4.  I actually do expect you to remember things like my favorite soft drink, candy, movie, baseball team and author.  I know all those things about you, and we've talked about them, so you should know them about me.

5.  Send me sweet good morning and good night texts.



6.  Pay for dinner.  Hold the door open for me.  Pull out my chair at the restaurant.

7.  I like buying you things, and I love that you appreciate things when I get them for you (so say thank you!).  But never tell me that you can't accept a gift because it is too much or because I shouldn't have bought it.  I bought it because I wanted to, and you not accepting it is insulting.

8.  I will give you your guys' nights to go to the game and play poker or whatever, so I need you to give me my space for girls' nights every once in a while, too.



9.  Picnics in the park or at the lake are my absolute favorite.



10.  I love when you hold my hand in public and let me wear your coat or hoodie.  It tells everyone who sees us that I belong to you, and I love that.


Also...
If/when you get ready to pop the question, I want it to be a special moment just between the two of us.  No hidden photographers, no surprise parties, no asking on the jumbo tron at a ballgame (although those things are cool, I think a moment like deciding that you are going to spend the rest of your life with someone should be private). Got it?  Good.

Last thing...do you think you could hurry up a little?  Or maybe ask someone for directions?

No comments:

Post a Comment