Sunday, December 8, 2013

Things All Sales Associates Wish Customers Knew

Working in retail is...interesting, to say the least. Any job where you work for the public provides certain challenges, and working in a retail department store during the Christmas season is definitely an experience. I think it is good for people to have a job like that, to learn how to multitask and to learn what it means to provide good customer service. It is important for people to know what it is like to work on the other side of the cash register.


Here are some things that I wish customers knew:

1.  I am here to serve you. That means that I am there to help you find the items that you are looking for and, if we cannot find them in the store, to help you order the color or size that you need. I am there to help you print out a bridal registry, to give you directions to another department or the bathrooms if necessary, to offer you coupons and show you the best deals each day, and to climb the ladder to get items off the top shelf for you. This does NOT mean that you are allowed to treat me like crap or that I am supposed to ignore every other customer in the store and solely wait on you for the entire time that you are shopping.

2.  I do not personally own everything that we sell in the store, therefore I cannot give you a personal testimony about every single item.

3.  It is not my fault that the coupon from the paper doesn't work on your item. Please do not get rude with me just because you didn't read the fine print.

4.  I am just a lowly sales associate and have no authority to lower prices for you just because you ask me to. A dent on the corner of a box does not make an item damaged and will not get you 50% off (especially if I see YOU dent the box on your way to the register). Also, if you DO buy damaged merchandise at a discounted price, you CANNOT return it.

5.  I do not have the price of every item in the store memorized.

6.  It is my job to straighten up the store throughout the day and especially at the end of the sales day. However, the store floor is not a garbage can. Please be a decent person and throw you gum wrappers, leftover coffee cups, fast food bags, and candy wrappers away instead of just dropping them wherever. Also, if you decide that you don't want an item, but can't remember where you got it, at least leave it at a register and tell the associate that you changed your mind. Trust me, I will find the cowboy boots that you decided not to buy and shoved four rows back behind the pillows, and I will curse you under my breath when I do, whoever you are.

7.  Just because you saw an item online does not guarantee that we have that item in-stock at the store.

8.  When a Door Buster price says that it ends at 1:00 p.m., that means that you must check out before 1:00 p.m. in order to get that price. If you check out at 2:00, but swear that you picked the item up before 1:00, you are not going to get the Door Buster price. Also, I cannot honor that price the next day just because you still have the sales paper. There are rules, people.

9.  If you have worn it, slept on it, or broken it, then please don't return it. However, if you do have a problem with an item breaking or tearing up (for example, if your coffee pot doesn't work right and it is a manufacturer problem), then feel free to bring it back and exchange it, but please tell the associate what is wrong with it so that we will not put it back on the shelf and sell it to another customer in it's damaged state.

10.  I do not work on commission, but I do have an hourly sales goal that I must meet in order to keep my job. Therefore, if I help you for 10 minutes or longer (if I go to the stockroom to get items for you, help you dig through stacks of dishes to find a specific accent plate, scan every set of silverware that we carry so that you can see which one is the best value) and then you go to another associate to check out, I will secretly hope that you trip in the parking lot and break every single one of those dishes you just bought.

And one more thing... I know it is annoying when sales associates ask for your personal information, but I am required to ask for your telephone number and/or email address. I know that you have both, so don't lie to me. And if I don't get this information, I will get in big trouble. You can mark it as spam and unsubscribe as soon as you leave the store, but please share this information with me. A little junk email never hurt anybody, did it?

No comments:

Post a Comment