Friday, September 13, 2013

Fashion Friday

I have a love/hate relationship with clothes.  I love to look at the newest fashion trends and see cute outfits (which is evidenced by my huge fashion and style board on Pinterest), but when it comes to actually wearing those cute clothes?  I don't do so well.

For one thing, the models that wear them on websites and in magazines are a fraction of my size.  Another, I like to be comfortable.  I'm not saying that I head to school wearing my pajamas or workout clothes everyday, but sometimes I'm tempted to.  The most important thing to me is that I can wear an outfit and still be able to move around freely and be comfortable while I'm spending a busy day on campus.  That means that flats are usually necessary (although I love high heels, there is no way I am walking around campus in those things).  It also means that layers are important because my university (like most) has major temperature control issues.  One room will feel like a furnace and the next feels like a freezer.  Then you have to consider the weather in north Mississippi.  It's hot and humid and sticky and rain can come out of nowhere.  So you have to be prepared for that (and don't even get me started on what that does to my hair).

All of these factors make looking cute hard, but with a few essentials, it is possible (even on those days where you skip shaving your legs and don't have time to wash your hair).  Every college girl needs to have these basic pieces in her wardrobe...

1.  A great pair of jeans.

Finding the right pair of jeans is like finding the right man.  It is hard work and it takes time.  You may have to try LOTS of them before you find "the one."  And once you do, you better take care of them, because having a pair that fits perfectly is rare.

Lots of people on campus are wearing Miss Me jeans lately.  They are really cute, but they also cost over $100 a pair.  I do not have that kind of cash lying around, so I stick to Old Navy and T.J. Maxx to find my jeans because I can usually get them for around $30.

I am currently in love with Old Navy's Sweetheart Boot Cut Jeans.


2.  A cute dress that can transition from season to season.

Every girl needs a dress that can be worn from one season to the next.  Something like this, with 3/4 sleeves, is lightweight enough to wear in the spring and summer, but can also be layered with a denim jacket and leggings for fall and winter.  It's a great staple to have in your wardrobe.


I love this dress from The Mint Julep Boutique.  It goes great with flats or sandals in the summer, or you can wear it with boots in the fall.

3.   A great denim jacket.

I have an American Eagle denim jacket that I love!  It is the perfect weight and I can wear it all throughout the year.  In the spring and fall, I roll the sleeves up to my elbows to make it a little cooler.  A denim jacket can go with almost anything.  You can wear it with dresses and skirts or even yoga pants and a tank to look a little more put together when you're on your way to or from a workout class.  It is an essential layering piece for every wardrobe.


4.   A button front shirt.

This is another great layering piece because it can be worn in so many different ways.  You can use it as a layering piece under a sweater (see picture above), wear it as a jacket with a dress or skirt and tank, or just wear it by itself with jeans and Sperry's for a preppy look.  These come in all sorts of colors.  Find one or two that you like and that go with a lot of your other clothes so you have options for how to wear it.  Also, make sure if you buy this that you know how to iron (or be willing to shell out the cash to get it ironed).  Wearing one of these that's totally wrinkled is NOT a good look.  Old Navy is a great place to get staple items like this a good price.



5.   At least one outfit you could wear to a job interview.

We all have plenty of t-shirts and shorts and it is totally fine to wear those to class, but there are going to be times in college where you need to look professional.  Make sure you have at least one outfit in your wardrobe that you can wear for those occasions (job interviews, special presentations in class, meeting with future employers at department luncheons at your school or at career days, etc.).  Something like a nice pair of black pants or black skirt and a dressy blouse will be fine.  You don't necessarily have to have a business suit, but you do want to make sure that you can present yourself as a professional when it is necessary.  Your clothes say a lot about your attitude and can mean a lot when  you go into an interview, so make sure that you're prepared for that.


Stores like New York & Company are great for finding business clothes, and these items are things that you can keep in your wardrobe for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment