Thursday, September 5, 2013

Wanted: SWF seeks intelligent, sports-obsessed guy to discuss football (among other things)

This is reason #72 that I need a boyfriend.  (Yes, that is a totally random number.  Work with me, people).

I love sports.  I really do.  You can ask my family and friends.  You are more likely to find me watching a Braves game or reruns of SportsCenter than anything else (unless there's a Criminal Minds marathon on TV).

However, although I love to watch and I try to educate myself about sports so I understand what's going on while I'm watching (and yes, I do understand most of what is going on), there are still things that I just don't have the time or energy to focus on.  Like keeping up with trades during the off season.  Or understanding exactly how college teams recruit players.  Or knowing the stats of every high school running back in the state that Alabama is watching for next season.

I like hearing about these kinds of things.  I enjoy talking to people who know that kind of stuff.  This is one of many reasons I need a boyfriend.

According to Twitter and Facebook, Kenny Bell from the University of Alabama quit the team earlier this week to focus on his responsibilities as a father.  All I heard from my female friends on Facebook is that they thought he was making a responsible decision and that more men should think like that and put their families first.  I get where they're coming from, but I wanted to talk about the effects his absence was going to have on the football team.

Later that day, when Coach Saban was interviewed, he said that Bell took a "personal day" and would be back at practice the next day.  Then, Bell tweeted that he wasn't quitting after all.  Coach Saban didn't seem happy about the situation, and there were a lot of questions left unanswered.

And I wanted to talk about it.  I wanted to pick the situation apart and figure out what happened and talk hypotheticals.  I wanted someone who knows all the NCAA rules to give me some insight into the situation.  I wanted to really discuss this and what it meant for team morale and how Saban is going to handle it and how the attention from the press might affect the team as they prepare for their next game against A&M (which might be the most important game we play all year, in my opinion).

I wanted to really go in depth and debate all the aspects of this little drama that was unfolding on Twitter and sports radio.  Do college players really need to be allowed to have Twitter accounts?  Wouldn't it have been much better if Bell had never tweeted that he was quitting in the first place and allowed the PR guys at the university to handle that type of announcement?  Is Saban going to start enforcing some strict rules about players and social media after this?

How important is Bell to the team anyway?  He was injured last year, so is he really going to be a huge player this season?  What would have made him decide to quit in the first place?


I need an intelligent, sports-obsessed guy to talk about these things with me.  And if, after one of those discussions, he wanted to pop some popcorn and cuddle on the couch to watch a game or a movie, that'd be fine, too.  I am currently taking applications.


No comments:

Post a Comment